Monday, November 9, 2015

A spaahhh treatment hit the spot!

I feel like I'm adding years to my life span by taking some time away from work and my usual life and by having a chance to reflect on my profession while exploring another piece of the world.  But, it was a long week of ups and downs in Temuco.

DOWNs included:  being completely blown off by the professor who, through email and months in advance, told me she would help me make connections and encouraged me to visit Temuco.  After several emails politely asking for her help and to get in touch, I never heard from her, leaving two days without school visits.  Also, the internet being out for 3 days at the airBnB (it is a big deal when trying to get work done!) and when the internet came back, realizing the phone reception was terrible. Another low- partying like I was 21 one night, forgetting that I would feel the effects like I was almost 33 the next day.  No bueno. On my last day, I was looking forward to returning to the school I first visited.  I made the trek out to the campo to the school (much easier this time), only to have the director tell me that he forgot about me because a teacher that had been ill had passed away and they canceled classes for the day.  He did offer me a ride back to town on the bus that they had rented to attend the funeral, but I passed.  That left another day with no agenda.
Temuco from Cerro Nielol
But the UPs included using those free days to make some progress on my final project and to put together some upcoming presentations.  I was accepted to present at the TESOL Chile conference, at a staff meeting at a school and to a class of 1st graders on school in the USA.  Spending time with Anne, the airBnB host was really great.  She was really interesting to talk to, laid back and had some hilarious insights on the US from her German perspective.  Her Spanish grammar and pronunciation weren't perfect but that didn't stop her from being super out going, friendly, and adventurous, and the type that just goes- with or without a plan, something for me to aspire to.  Having fun at said party was a plus, too. There was also a super awesome used book fair at a university, a great climb up the city's big hill, a free yoga class, and meeting Juan's dad, Carlos for lunch one afternoon.
Ines the Director and me 
playground at Allipen
The best part of the whole week was a visit to Escuela Allipen in the town of Freire, a ways outside of Temuco.  I got this connection from another profesor the Embassy put me in touch with.  It was an unforgettable and touching visit.  After taking the micro bus out, the director and picked me up in plaza of the two road town with the school bus van.  We made a few stops then headed more into the country to the school past views of the Volcano Villerica. Once we arrived, I realized the stops we made were to pick up some fresh bread and cheese to share with me over coffee.  It is so touching when people who have so little can share so much.  The school was a very precious place.  With only 100 students pre-K to grade 8, the student body is diverse in culture, learning needs and is comprised of kids who live in the remote country side.  I was the first visitor the school had had from the US, I talked briefly with different groups and answered some questions while the director took pictures of the visit.  It was humbling that to be so well received I just had to be born where I was born.

To take advantage of being in the south, Anton and I made a last minute plan to meet up and head to Pucón, a lake side town everyone raves about.  It is beautiful.  The high tourist season hasn't yet hit so the town is empty and quaint.  All the buildings are small and wooden.  It is surrounded by beautiful views of mountains.  I've haven't been to the Alps but it seems Alpine (probably thanks in part to the German influence here, too).  There is every outdoor adventure imaginable here horseback riding, kayaking, rafting, canopying, and hiking to a waterfalls or up a volcano.

We had a great hike in the Huerquehue National Park with spectacular views and company.  On the bus in, we met Emma a very mature Penn State student here on study abroad.  Not pictured below is the real live tarantula that crossed our path since I ran screaming upon the sight of it.




 To shed the soreness of the hike and troubles from the past week, we headed to Paradise aka Termas Geometricas, natural hot springs about an hour outside of town.  It was one of the most incredible places I have ever been.  The owner/designer enhanced the natural beauty of the area with a long wooden bridge that is a path that connects to stone pools of different temperatures.  I didn't bring my camera, check out the photos on the website!

While bathing in one of the 17 thermal pools I had some reflections for the week.  I'm really learning that it's ok to change your expectations and it's ok to be frustrated but not to let those frustrations overwhelm you.  Like what they are always saying in yoga, it's ok to be bothered but what you do with that bother is what effects your happiness.  Something only you are in charge of.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you had a well-deserved "decompression" at the termas .... looks like a beautiful place to wind down!
    1-2-3!

    ReplyDelete