Monday, October 26, 2015

Hearding dogs would be easy

Some of Santiago's many well-fed street dogs or "quiltros" outside my apartment building to welcome me home for lunch.  Funny to see them here as they are usually right in the middle of the hustle and bustle.  They normally choose a doorway or sidewalk for snoozing.
Sometimes, a hard part about doing my inquiry project is containing all the information, ideas, and questions that happen at the same time during a visit with a school or person.   I think the expression is used for gathering people together but it might be like herding cats.  I'm afraid that by the time I've totally grasped one idea, another might escape.  There is so much useful and interesting information coming at me at once and they translate to scattered notes in my notebook.  My mind and heart overflow with insight and inspiration and I worry won't be able to sift through it into a coherent whole.  That happened today.  I hope a blog post is a good way to synthesize.

The greatest school visits have happened by following up on random leads and by the graciousness of schools to accept my offer to visit.  I've been visiting Colegio Latino Cordillera thanks to the owner of a tour company who mentioned he sent his kids there while a friend and I met him while dining out.  A few weeks ago, I met with an educational consultant I connected with through 5 degrees of separation.  She works in maintaining native languages and supporting schools in developing culturally relevant curriculum.  She mentioned that her daughter goes to school where they do a lot of investigations and projects.  Of course, I followed up.  This morning I went to the Escuela Franciso Varela, in Peñalolen, a pretty part of town I had never been too. The director generously spent time with me, answering questions, explaining the founding and guiding principles of the school (meaningful learning, happiness and transparency) and touring me around the while introducing me to students and staff.  I was totally blown away by the school and had never seen anything like it before.  The campus was a Waldorf School and is beautiful.  It is just three years old, accepts all learners and 1/4 of the population is on scholarship (both things VERY rare for private schools here).  The school has a Buddhist inspiration, not to indoctrinate students with religion but to use some of the principles for character development.  It was named after a famous Chilean scientist known for linking science and Buddhism. Students start each day with a mediation practice and do yoga twice a week.







At the end of the visit around the school, he sat me down and said he likes talking more about educational history instead of didactics.  Again I was taken aback with admiration. He told me some brief history of education in Chile, including the persecution of educators who organized during the dictatorship.  In the 80's three prominent educators were kidnapped and murdered and the director himself was shot in the stomach and went to recover in Germany.  We discussed how Chile's political history and educational history are so closely intertwined.  He remarked that anyone who things schools are just about teaching kids are greatly mistaken, referring to the fact that schools are political institutions.  We also talked about the current demands of education reform, the two main tenants being quality and opportunity. Currently teachers do not need to hold a master's degree and are required to take no continuing education courses after they acquire a teaching position. Leo, also mentioned some resources to learn more about the school philosophy, most authors who follow Reggio Emilia and Loris Malaguzzi.

I left the school feeling totally overwhelmed with info but mostly grateful and in awe (a recurring theme of my time here).  Just when I thought the morning couldn't be more special, I saw there was a place called Herbarium across the street.  It was an herb and garden store that was more like a secret garden.  Almost no one was there.  There was bright sun, chirping birds and beautiful views of the mountains.





The day isn't even nearly over yet!  Anton and I are going to finally climb one of Santiago's big hills, San Cristobal.  I still have to reflect on the practical information and ideas for the classroom I observed today but in terms of collating some my ideas, mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment