Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Back to School!

I walked out of the (Airbnb) apartment this morning thinking about how it was just last week I was standing here with all my bags and not a clue of what to expect from this city.  Just 7 days later, I've got a strong sense of the people, the landscape, a Chilean cell phone number and an apartment! Although there remains A LOT to be seen and done, I feel like Santiago has offered me so much already.  

Today is "moving day".  I'm excited to have my own space but sad to say goodbye to my host and the beautiful Providencia neighborhood.  I will be more centrally and budget friendly located right in the heart of the city ten steps away from the Bellas Artes Metro stop.  Never have I nor will I ever live in such a dense urban area so I figure why not use this time to be in the heart of the city.  

Yesterday I had my first appointment with my advisor at the University of Santiago de Chile (USACH for short).  It was SO great to be back on a college campus.  Although this one was like a ghost town.  According to my advisor, Andrea, the students have been on strike for several months to pressure the school administration to reinstate a more democratic governance.  Before 1973 and the dictatorship, students, faculty, and administration could vote for the President and there were checks and balances for his decision making.  For the past 30+ years only full time faculty can vote for the University president and he has a lot of power.  I was impressed to learn about the students' role in political action, yet the strike creates many complications for students and faculty alike.  Needless to stay I won't be in any classes there. Luckily, Fulbright in Chile has recommended more than one advisor so that I can pool from more resources and perhaps audit classes at another university.  It was wonderful to meet with Andrea and hear her insights about my project and different situations in Chile. 

I'm feeling as though I'm back in New England with wild weather.  From hot and sunny a few days and then chilly and rainy the next. That's why this post is missing some photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment