Monday, September 14, 2015

READY . . . SET . . . NO GO!

I've got a Chilean cell phone number, apartment, and ID number.  I've been shamelessly networking like mad and am ready to go full steam ahead on my project BUT it's spring break here! Most to all of the schools are closed for the week.  In addition to researching some further topic ideas, I'll have to use my time to get to know the city's wonderful museums and parks, and maybe escape for a day to Valparaiso.

I got a good start on the city's tourist sites last week with a great walking tour, Tours4Tips.  I went on the two different tours they offer which included an intro to the historical and cultural sights in the city center and a tour of the city's major markets and cemetery.

La Vega Central, might be one of the most awe inspiring and generally awesome places I have been.  It's a 8 square block market selling all sorts of agricultural products.  The hustle and bustle and the offerings of the market were amazing.
This mural represents the solidarity of the 10,000 workers at La Vega.  They watch over and help out one another instead of relying on assistance from outside sources.  
I learned so much about the fascinating political history of Chile, sparking my interest in learning much more.  I lucked out by being able to tag along on the Spanish tour and made friends with other travelers.  In the cemetery, at the tomb of Salvador Allende we came across a few members of GAP (Grupo de Amigos Personales) who were with President Allende on the day of coup.  We were fortunate that the group willing to share their story with us.

 Friday September 11th, also marked an anniversary here in Chile.  That was the day in 1973 when General Pinochet and the Armed Forces staged the coup that lead to the 15+ year dictatorship.  I was advised by many sources to spend the evening at home to avoid any possible tensions and protests.  I used the time to watch two great movies recommended by the tour guides, related to the dictatorship, Machuca and No.

Last week I got to visit the school I am assigned to.  It is a neighborhood of Santiago where people raise eyebrows when I say the name.  I found it to be lovely.  I was there only briefly because the director is leaving his position for a job at the Ministry of Education and had an understandably busy agenda.  During my whirlwind tour of the school I saw there were 40, yes 40! kids per classroom.  There is also a administrative position that oversees all special education and helps the teachers collaborate with classroom teachers for mandatory inclusion services.  This is something I will definitely have to look into and learn more about when I return.

I also got to visit another university for an additional advising appointment.  It was incredible to see the contrast between the state run, students-so-politically-active-they're-striking school to an Opus Dei run, lively student body, and beautiful campus school.

I am loving all who I'm meeting, all that I'm seeing, and all that I'm learning.  Just anxiously waiting to be in schools!  Oh and super excited for this weekend's Fiestas Patrias- Independence Day celebrations!





No comments:

Post a Comment