Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Uh, oh! The books are expensive but the wine is CHEAP!

I sure hope this is not a sign of how my project will go!  I bought a used, paperback book today for nearly $15, and a bottle of wine is about $5.


All kidding aside, it was confirmed that I'm going to have my work cut out for me bringing the project I had in mind to fruition.  The Fulbright Commission Director confirmed that although the most wealthy and industrious of all South American countries, Chile is the worst off in terms of equal education for all.  I'm actually a bit shocked that my project proposal and therefore application was accepted.  The goal of my project, to observe classroom interactions as apprenticeships between students of varying academic language skills is relevant in schools with students of different language and/or class backgrounds.  Several sources have now told me this basically does not exist here in Chile.  But there must have been something about my application that had Fulbright put their faith in me.  This means I may just have to work a little harder to cast a wider net by visiting more schools and fine tune my approach and objectives a bit. I'm totally up for the challenge.


 It was great to meet with the Commission to get out and see more of the city.  I got to have lunch with fellow Fulbrighter, Imani. Pictured here is my first hot dog completa Italiana.  The colors of the Italian flag, avocado, tomato and mayo!


Imani asked what my first impression of the city were, I was a little stuck.  It is a HUGE city with LOTS left to explore but at first it hasn't reminded me of any city I've ever been, yet there didn't seem to be anything extraordinary about it.  Then, walking "home", I caught a glimpse of the sun setting on the Andes and I gasped.  There are many extraordinary things to be discovered, big and small.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those empanaditas on your plate w your completo look sooooo good!

    Thinking of you. You might want to do some reading about bilingual Ed in Oaxaca

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog - I have a college student family friend in Santiago @ Universidad Desarollo if you would like another contact. Buena suerte

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your blog - I have a college student family friend in Santiago @ Universidad Desarollo if you would like another contact. Buena suerte

    ReplyDelete