Saturday, September 5, 2015

It's only natural

Day 5 in Santiago already!  It is really quite interesting and odd to go right from summer in Boston to spring here. Spring has arrived early and everyone is excited the cold weather has broke and that spring has sprung.  Flowers are blooming everywhere and it's WARM.  But unlike the States where everyone goes around in sundresses and sandals the second it passes 70 degrees, everyone is still bundled up, making me hot just looking at them.  As to not totally stick out, I've been dressing like its fall (plus I'm sad to miss sweater weather) and working up a sweat every way I go.  Then there is an occasional cool breeze and there's a chill in the air at night.  This change of seasons has led me to come down with a little cold.

This minor ailment let anxiety take over as the constraints of being a lone foreigner kicked in and I gave myself a bit of a pity party.  While discovering new neighborhoods and parks I wondered, what am I doing here?  I uprooted my life to feel lonely and also anxious about an impossible seeming project . . . why?  I tried not to let myself give into it as I trekked on.

I found a fair of Indigenous Women Artisan Entrepreneurs I had seen advertised and it was great! Lots of interesting food, crafts and herbal medicines made and provided by indigenous women with wonderful musical performances as well.  I would love to learn more about their homeopathic treatments with plants native to Chile.

Like those salves and balms, I think my worries and anticipations are only natural. Perhaps they're just a part of the process in integrating into a new culture and taking on the task of being a Fulbright Distinguished Teacher. At least that is what the optimist is telling the pessimist in me.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete